Some microwave problems are fairly easy to repair, but microwaves draw a significant amount of power and store much of it in capacitors that can cause burns and even electrocution if touched without being discharged. Novices should exercise caution when opening a microwave.
Microwaves have one or more fuses that can blow if the microwave draws too much electricity. Operation manuals typically show how to access these fuses to inspect them and replace them if needed. Microwave doors also have switches that prevent the unit from operating if the door is opened. Replacing a door switch is fairly simple for those who know how to use basic tools.