Bleach contains chemicals that have corrosive qualities and can be fatal if ingested in a large quantity. Ingesting smaller amounts typically causes irritation and minor issues in the digestive system, eyes and nose.Continue Reading
Chemicals such as sodium hypochlorite in bleach are the cause of its potentially damaging properties. Sodium hypochlorite is not fatal in small, diluted amounts, but may cause minor irritation and burning in the respiratory and digestive systems.
If a large amount of these chemicals are ingested, the corrosive properties they contain may induce heart shock, delirium or a coma. The severity of these symptoms and damage to the nervous system and heart may ultimately result in death.Learn more about Cleaning Products
Dangerous chemicals commonly found in households include air fresheners, ammonia, antifreeze, bleach and drain cleaners. Laundry detergents, mothballs and motor oils also are considered toxic.Full Answer >
Mixing bleach and Windex releases toxic gases and produces toxic chemicals. S. C. Johnson & Sons, Inc. reports that one of the ingredients in Windex Original is ammonia. When ammonia and sodium hypochlorite, the primary ingredient in bleach are mixed, they produce chloramine vapor; there is also the potential for hydrazine formation. Experts recommend avoiding mixing these two solutions, even in small amounts.Full Answer >
According to the American Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA), the cleaning agents contained in the Swiffer wet jet fluid do not contain chemicals in large enough quantities to be harmful to pets.Full Answer >
Chem Dry states that its primary product is environmentally safe for both kids and pets, since it does not contain soaps or harsh chemicals. The ingredients in Chem Dry's primary cleaner, The Natural, are listed on the U.S. Federal Drug Administration's Generally Recognized as Safe list.Full Answer >