Chlorine bleach can be used to destroy living organisms such as black mold. However, chemicals like bleach are not recommended for use in routine mold cleanup. Bleach should never be mixed with other cleaning solutions or detergents, as the mixture could produce toxic fumes.
Mold should be scrubbed from surfaces using detergent and water. It should then be allowed to dry thoroughly. Absorbent materials, like carpet, may have to be thrown away. Homeowners can keep mold under control by ensuring that the home stays dry. This can be accomplished with a dehumidifier, which lowers the indoor humidity level to below 60 percent.