Backwashing a swimming pool sand filter involves setting the pump on backwash and rinse, cleaning out the skimmer and hair catcher and resetting the pump. Backwashing is part of regular pool maintenance, and experts recommend doing so once a week or twice if the pool is used heavily.
The following steps describe how to backwash a swimming pool sand filter properly.
- Deactivate the pump Turn off the pump. This is a very important step before adjusting the filter setting in any way. Adjusting the setting without turning off the pump may damage the filter system entirely.
- Backwash Set the filter adjustment to the "Backwash" position. Turn on the pump and let the backwash cycle run for approximately two minutes. Observe the filtering process through the clear lid to ensure that the backwash cycle is running properly.
- Rinse Turn off the pump and then adjust the filter setting to "Rinse." Run the rinse cycle for about a minute or until the water looks clear through the clear lid.
- Clean out skimmer basket and hair catcher Turn off the pump. Close the skimmer valve and then clear out the skimmer basket and hair catcher. Replace the skimmer and hair catcher, and then open the skimmer valve.
- Reset the pump Adjust the filter setting to "Filter." Turn the pump back on.