The original Santa Anita park was built and opened in 1907. The park was located in what is now called Arcadia Park.
In 1934, the park was moved and reopened in its current location by Hal Roach and Dr. Charles H. Strub. Even though it was launched during the Great Depression, the club still managed to make money.
The Santa Anita Park continued gaining popularity after highly-publicized races took place. In 1935, the purse offered for the Santa Anita Handicap race was $100,000 and that gained the track lots of publicity. In 1940, after two tries, Seabiscuit won the Santa Anita Handicap, gaining the track even more positive press.
Today, the Santa Anita Park hosts races like the Santa Anita Derby and often hosts the Breeders' Cup.