Q:

What are the safety precautions when using RIT dye?

A:

Quick Answer

RIT dye must not be ingested, as it may cause nausea, gastrointestinal irritation, vomiting and diarrhea. In susceptible persons, RIT dye may cause skin irritation, so users must wash their hands thoroughly after handling the dye. Users should wear rubber gloves to protect their hands from permanent stains, especially when using hot water. RIT dye must not be disposed of through surface or rainwater drainage, as it can end up mixing with drinking water.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

RIT is considered safe for both indoors and outdoors use. It does not contain any reactive hazardous materials or harmful chemicals, and users can dispose of it safely through septic systems. Although RIT dye is nontoxic, ingesting it can cause serious health problems. Anyone who accidentally ingests the dye should rinse his mouth thoroughly with water and drink plenty of water to dilute the dye. Induced vomiting is strongly discouraged.

RIT dye is irritating to the eyes. Though masks are not necessary for home use quantities, users should be careful not to splash the dye into their eyes. If the dye accidentally enters a person’s eyes, he should flush it immediately with plenty of water to ease the irritation and clear the eye. Any pain in the eye subsides with time.

Learn more about Dyeing
Sources:

Related Questions

Explore