Minton has had several different markings in its more than 220 year history. These markings not only help to authenticate a piece of Minton pottery, but they also help to date it.
Throughout the years, the company has fluctuated between referencing itself as both Minton and Mintons. The earliest Minton markings were a blue enamel overglaze that featured two intersecting curving lines with the letter M between them at the bottom and, below it, a pattern number. This marking was reserved exclusively for gilded pieces. Pieces made prior to 1800 that are not gilded may have no markings. During the 1820s, the Minton marking was simply two crossed swords. This design was replaced by various markings, most of which bore either the letter "M' or the letters "M" and "B." From 1830 to 1860, the Minton mark was an arrow either pointing straight up or up and slightly to the left toward three dots. Around the 1860s, the company also began imprinting its emblem which, since the latter half of the 19th century, has seen several evolutions that typically involve a grid globe flanked by laurel on both sides with the full name of either Minton or Mintons imprinted across the middle. The current marking, as of 2014, also includes a denotation of the company's establishment in 1793.