To make flour clay, mix flour, salt and warm water together until the mixture forms a malleable dough. Use food coloring or tempera paint to make clay in different colors, and form the clay into whatever shapes and designs the project requires.
Homemade clay is easy to make with household ingredients, and it is less expensive as well.
- Gather the ingredients Measure out 4 cups of flour, 1 cup of salt and 1 1/2 cups of warm water. Food coloring or tempera paint can be added as colorants.
- Combine the ingredients Add the salt to the water, and stir to dissolve. Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature and add any colorants desired. Add the flour and stir to mix.
- Allow the dough to rest Place the dough in the refrigerator for up to half an hour to allow it to rest before working with it.
- Knead the dough Knead the dough for up to 10 minutes to get the dough to a smooth consistency.
- Form the clay Form the clay as desired. Make shapes in a freehand style, or use cookie cutters or clay molding tools. Allow it to air dry or bake the clay in the oven at 300 to 325 degrees Fahrenheit for up to an hour. Let the pieces cool before handling.