Jewelry marked as 950 silver means that the item is 95 percent pure silver. When stamped 950, it refers to its purity in parts per thousand. The remaining 5 percent is an alloy added to increase the hardness of the silver piece.Continue Reading
Silver is usually alloyed with copper for hardening purposes. Silver is a soft metal and requires the addition of an alloy. However, silver does have good properties, such as it is very malleable, ductile and has good electrical conductivity.
The markings on silver can be different. For example, sterling silver has the stamp of 925, which tells a person that the piece is 92.5 percent pure silver and 7.5 percent copper. Jewelry marked 950 silver has a higher purity than 925 silver.Learn more about Coins & Currency
The price of a one dollar silver certificate in 2015 will vary depending on the year it was made and its condition; buyers and sellers can expect a price as low as $1 to more than $1,000 for a single silver certificate. Websites like Antique Money and Old Currency Values can help people interested in buying or selling to determine a fair price for their silver certificate.Full Answer >
Valuable silver coins can be purchased from online silver and precious metals dealers, such as Buy Gold and Silver Coins and Apmex. Websites that sell silver coins typically also sell gold, platinum and copper coins.Full Answer >
There are several ways to identify genuine silver coins, based on the physical properties of silver. Common non-damaging methods involve testing the coin with ice or magnets, observing its weight, or identifying the sound it makes when struck. Silver coins may also be identified with acid or bleach tests.Full Answer >
Collectible Spanish silver coins include reales, cobs and milled coins featuring certain designs. How much the coins are worth depends on their state, rarity and the designs they feature.Full Answer >