The Plymouth Rock is believed to have weighed originally close to 20,000 pounds. Over time, people took pieces from the rock and sold them, decreasing the overall mass of this historic rock. Only one-third of the top portion of Plymouth Rock is considered to be remaining as of 2014.
The Plymouth Rock is symbolic of the Pilgrims founding Plymouth, Mass., in 1620. The first written reference to the rock was recorded in 1715. The first time that Plymouth Rock was moved and modified was in 1774, when it was split in half. There have not been any sizable portions removed since 1880. Pieces of the Plymouth Rock can be observed in Pilgrim Hall Museum.