San Antonio de Padua de los Robles is the full name for Mission San Antonio de Padua and means St. Anthony of Padua of the Oaks. It’s the only mission that has retained its surroundings and was the first to use a red tile roof. Father Junipero Serra founded the mission in 1771, and on May 16, 1773, it hosted the first European wedding in California.Continue Reading
The mission moved from its original location in 1773, following water scarcity, to Los Robles Valley. At the onset of secularization in 1834, San Antonio became government property. In November 4 that year, Governor Figueroa oversaw the takeover of the mission from its padres. The mission began to crumble under state neglect around that time.
On May 31, 1863, the Church regained ownership of the mission and received a title to 33 acres. The mission was abandoned around 1882 or 1883 when father Ambris died. The building lost its roof, and its walls collapsed, but the church was not affected at the time. The California Landmark league reconstructed much of the property between 1903 and 1908.
In 2005, the owners of the mission, the diocese of Monterey, took the caretaking responsibilities for the mission from the Franciscan Friars. As of 2014, the mission is an active Catholic parish.Learn more about Ancient America