No one resides in the Kennedy compound. It was donated to the Edward M. Kennedy Institute according to the wishes of the late Senator Edward M. Kennedy and his widow. The institute plans to host educational programs and teach the public about American government.
The original house was built in 1904 and rests on approximately 6 acres of land in Hyannis Port, Mass. It was originally rented by Joseph P. Kennedy in 1926, and he bought the property three years later. He added onto the home to suit the needs of his growing family. In 1965, the birthplace home was labeled a National Historic Landmark.