The first friction matches were invented by John Walker in 1827. These first matches were 3 inches long and would ignite with a series of explosions similar to firecrackers when pulled through a piece of sandpaper.
In 1829, Samuel Jones began making matches that were tipped with white phosphorus and sulfur. These matches were able to light after being struck on any surface. However, they produced a poisonous vapor that required a warning label on the box. A safer version of Samuel Jones' match was created in 1845 by J.E. Lundstrum, who used non-poisonous red phosphorus instead of white. Finally, the book-style matches still in use today were invented in 1892 by Joshua Pusey, whose patent was purchased and put into production by the Diamond Match Company.