The famous Hollywood theater featuring concrete impressions of famous actors' handprints and footprints on its Walk of Fame was originally called Grauman's Chinese Theatreand, as of 2013, it wasofficially renamedthe TCL Chinese Theatre. The 85-year-old Hollywood landmark first opened on May 18, 1927, with Cecil B. DeMille's silent film, "King of Kings," as its first premiere movie. To obtain the most recent naming rights to the theater, the Chinese company TCL Group paid more than $5 million.
In 1968, the theater was designated a cultural and historic landmark. The Academy Award ceremonies for 1944, 1945 and 1946 were hosted at the famous theater, and its Hollywood Walk of Fame features the handprints, footprints and autographs of almost 200 celebrities. Well-known movie premieres at the theater include "The Wizard of Oz," "The Robe" and "Star Wars." Red carpet event movie premieres, featuring celebrity attendance and crowds of fans, continue to be held at the theater. The theater currently accommodates more than 900 moviegoers, and it features the third-largest North American movie screen.
The groundbreaking ceremony for the original 1927 theater opening was on January 9, 1926. The project was the result of a partnership between Sid Grauman, who held a one-third interest in the project, Howard Schenck, and film celebrities Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. and Mary Pickford. Fairbanks was also the second celebrity to be featured on the Walk of Fame after actress Norma Talmadge.
The theater is known for its Chinese decor and resembles a giant pagoda. The entrance is flanked by two Ming Dynasty lions. The construction of the theater required special permission from the United States government to import a variety of authentic Chinese artifacts that were incorporated into the structure.