The first settlers of European descent arrived in the Victorville area during the late 1800s. Known as Victor, the town formed next to a railroad station built by the California Southern Railroad. U.S Route 66 connected to the town in 1926, and the army established an air base in 1941.
Named for Jacob Nash Victor, the construction superintendent for the California Southern Railroad, the town created a grid-pattern plan for growth in 1886. The area contained ample water and rich soil, which spurred agricultural development soon after. At the turn of the century, deposits of limestone and granite led to the establishment of Victor as a cement manufacturing area. The United States Postal Service changed the name of the town to Victorville in 1901 to avoid confusion with Victor, Colorado.
When Route 66 was built through Victorville, a large number of businesses opened to serve highway traffic. Hollywood also used the highway to film a number of movies in the area. The military established Victorville Army Airfield in 1941, which later became George Air Force Base, providing significant employment to the town.
The town incorporated itself as a full city in 1962; however, the Air Force base closed in 1992 before being merged with the city as Southern California Logistics Airport. Approximately 99,000 people live in Victorville, according to a 2007 estimate.