The history of Lincoln City, Oregon, includes a contest that was held to pick the name of the city and annual events such as the Oceanlake Regatta and Taft's Redhead Roundup. Lincoln City officially incorporated on March 3rd, 1965. Multiple coastal towns, such as Oceanlake, Nelscott, Taft, Delake and Cutler City, joined to make the city limits of Lincoln City.
Native American tribes primarily occupied present-day Lincoln City prior to the presence of European settlers. Early explorers searched the area for natural resources. Sir Francis Drake explored the Lincoln City area and called it New Albion in 1572.
The area also became part of the Coast and Siletz Reservations in 1855. The U.S. Congress's passage of the Dawes Act in 1887 allowed white settlers to homestead the land. The act also provided the Native Americans with allotments of 80 acres.
The permanent name of Lincoln City was the result of a contest for school children since compiling the names of the five coastal towns would prove difficult. Lincoln City started out as a fishing industry and then established logging as an industry in the mid-1930s. Taft's Redhead Roundup, an all-redhead beauty pageant, is also synonymous with Lincoln City history, since it attracted thousands of tourists in the 1930s. The city is also home to the Dorchester House, which hosted Oregon's first Republican issue conference.