The first bumper stickers made with adhesive tape were produced in the mid-1940s by a Kansas City printer named Forest P. Gill. Gill made bumper stickers to commemorate several of the tourist attractions in the area.
As early as 1927, individuals attached signs supporting political candidates or advertising products to the bumpers of their cars using wire or string. However, it was not until the 1940s that adhesive stickers came into use. One early widespread bumper sticker read "See Rock City," a tourist attraction in Tennessee. Staff at the attraction circulated through the parking lot and placed a sticker on every visitor's car.