During the 1600s, Salem Village was a small, but fast-growing, farming community along the north side of Salem Town. As Salem Village grew in size, it began separating itself from Salem Town by developing its own distinct interests and identity.
Over time, some of the villager began requesting a separate church for the village, in an attempt to further separate themselves from the town. Salem Town leaders initially rejected the request, but the church was finally built in 1672, giving Salem Village residents a sort of autonomy. Salem Village became a completely separate entity in 1752, and is now called Danvers.