Camp David is located in Catoctin Mountain Park in Maryland. The location is just over 60 miles from Washington, D.C., and is known as a retreat for the president of the United States. Camp David is full of wooded countryside and hills.
The camp was originally known as Hi-Catoctin, and it was built as a camp that agents of the federal government and their families could use. Camp David did not become a presidential retreat until 1942, when President Franklin D. Roosevelt converted it. President Roosevelt gave the retreat the name Shangri-La, but President Dwight D. Eisenhower renamed it Camp David.