The Alamo, made famous during the war for Texas' independence, features a history that began in 1718 as a chapel in the Spanish Mission San Antonio de Valero. Following the battle of the Alamo in 1836, the Alamo became a rallying cry for Texans as the country won its independence from Mexico. The Daughters of the Republic of Texas managed the site starting in 1905, and since then, millions of visitors have come to the site.Continue Reading
Spain stationed troops in the chapel in the early 1800s, and those soldiers named it "El Alamo." Over the next three decades, Spanish, rebel and Mexican soldiers used the Alamo as a troop station. When the war for Texas independence broke out in 1935, George Collinsworth and Benjamin Milam, Texan rebels, captured the Alamo and controlled the surrounding town of San Antonio. Although the Texan troop levels made San Antonio an easy target, Colonel James Bowie and Lieutenant Colonel William B. Travis continued to defend the fort. On Feb. 23, 1836, General Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna of Mexico and his 6,000 troops attacked the fort and its less than 200 Texan troops. The Texan forces held out for 13 days until being overtaken.
The U. S. Army used the Alamo as a supply station following the annexation of Texas in 1845. In 1883, Texas purchased the Alamo and surrounding land and owned all rights to the property.Learn more about US History