As of May 2015, Visine no longer manufactures L.R eye drops. The discontinuation came after the U.S. Food and Drug Administration issued a safety announcement regarding the use of certain eye products, such as oxymetazoline, the active ingredient in Visine L.R.
Visine L.R. was an eye drop product that reduced redness in the eyes and had a long-lasting effect. Visine no longer has the product or product information listed on its website. On October 25, 2012, the FDA announced severe adverse events associated with children accidentally ingesting certain eye drops, including Visine L.R. Children under the age of 5 with accidental ingestion of oxymetazoline experienced serious and life-threatening reactions such as coma, decreased heart rate and sedation that required hospitalization. However, no deaths were a result of Visine L..R. ingestion. The product disappeared from store shelves shortly after the announcement. Oxymetazoline continues to be an ingredient in nasal spray.