Is Vaseline harmful if swallowed?


Quick Answer

MedlinePlus states that while Vaseline is considered non-toxic, swallowing large amounts of it can lead to symptoms such as abdominal pain, coughing, diarrhea, shortness of breath and irritation of the eyes, nose, throat and skin. If a person swallows Vaseline, it is best to contact poison control for further instructions.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

In order to evaluate the situation fully, poison control needs to know the name of the product swallowed, the amount swallowed, the time the substance was swallowed, and the patient's age, weight and condition. If medical attention is needed, MedlinePlus states that potential treatments include activated charcoal, breathing support and intravenous fluids. Complete recovery is likely after swallowing Vaseline.

Learn more about Side Effects

Related Questions