Q:

Does using bleach to kill nail fungus have any side effects?

A:

Quick Answer

Skin exposure to chlorine bleach can result in skin irritation, according to the Environmental Protection Agency. Bleach, the common name for a solution made up of sodium hypochlorite and water, is a pesticide and fungicide found in many household cleaning products. Household bleach is sold as either a 5.25 or 6 percent sodium hypochlorite solution, states the American Chemistry Council.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

As of September 2015, there are no reputable health sources that recommend the use of bleach for the treatment of nail fungus. If properly diluted, bleach can be used safely for the treatment of certain skin conditions, such as chronic eczema. Concentrated or industrial grade bleach should not be used to treat skin conditions. A safe dilution of bleach for skin treatment is 1/2 cup of household bleach mixed with 40 gallons of warm water, about the size of a standard bathtub, according to Drugs.com. During this treatment, the skin is immersed in a bath of the dilute bleach for approximately 10 minutes. This remedy should not be used more than three times per week.

While bleach is not specifically mentioned as a fungicide for nail treatment, there are other over-the-counter remedies available in the form of medicated creams and ointments, according to Mayo Clinic.

Learn more about Skin Conditions

Related Questions

Explore