There are no unusual symptoms associated with gas or carbon monoxide poisoning, but rather common symptoms that occur in people who are exposed, states the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Breathing in a lot of carbon monoxide can result in passing out or death.Continue Reading
Some symptoms associated with carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, dizziness and weakness, according to the CDC and Mayo Clinic. Additional symptoms include upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain and confusion. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are often subtle or reported as flu-like. People who are intoxicated or sleeping, while exposed to carbon monoxide, can die before feeling any symptoms. While everyone is at risk for carbon monoxide poisoning, some people are more likely to get sick. People with breathing problems, chronic heart disease and anemia are at a higher risk, as well as the elderly and babies.
To reduce the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning, installation of a battery-operated or battery-backup carbon monoxide detector in the home is recommended, explains the CDC. Replacing the batteries during the spring and fall, when time changes occur, ensures carbon monoxide detectors are in working order. Do not use portable flameless chemical heaters indoors for any reason or heat the indoors with gas ranges or ovens. Clean chimneys on a yearly basis, as a blocked chimney can cause carbon monoxide to build up in the home.Learn more about Pain & Symptoms