What Types of Doctors Specialize in Treating Fibromyalgia?


Quick Answer

Doctors who specialize in treating fibromyalgia include rheumatologists and neurologists, explains WebMD. Primary care doctors or general practitioners who specialize in internal medicine also treat patients with fibromyalgia.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

It may take a team of doctors that includes pain specialists, orthopaedists and psychologists, in addition to rheumatologists and neurologists to treat patients with fibromyalgia, according to WebMD. A rheumatologist specializes in treating diseases of the bones, muscles and joints. Pain specialists can offer patients assistance with managing pain caused by the disease. A neurologist specializes in treating people with conditions affecting the nervous system, which includes not only fibromyalgia but also muscle disorders, back pain and headaches.

Patients with fibromyalgia who require surgical repair of bones, ligaments, cartilage, tendons and muscles receive treatment from orthopaedists, notes WebMD. Fibromyalgia causes chronic pain but can also affect an individual's mental health. Psychologists provide therapy to help patients cope with anxiety and depression resulting from constant pain caused by fibromyalgia.

Learn more about Conditions & Diseases

Related Questions