Zinc poisoning is a life-threatening emergency requiring immediate professional medical intervention, according to Healthgrades. Home care involves giving the poisoned individual milk, unless instructed differently by a health care provider, states MedlinePlus.
At the hospital emergency room, the patient may receive fluids and medication to reverse the effects of the poison, notes MedlinePlus. Additionally, doctors may insert a tube through the patient's mouth or nose into the stomach to wash it out. Doctors monitor the patient's vital signs and treat symptoms as deemed appropriate.
Symptoms of zinc poisoning include convulsions, chills, body pain, metallic taste in the mouth and shortness of breath, according to MedlinePlus.