To lower the swelling from wasp stings, apply ice to the affected area, and elevate it if possible, recommends WebMD. It is important to remove any jewelry from the area if necessary, as jewelry may become difficult to remove if the swelling continues.Continue Reading
The first step to treating a wasp sting is to remove the stinger, states WebMD. Avoid squeezing the stinger, as more venom may enter the body. Instead, use a fingernail to scrape the stinger off, or use tweezers. After controlling the swelling, take a pain reliever such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen. Children under the age of 18 should not take pain medications. Apply an antihistamine or calamine lotion to reduce itching. A baking soda and water solution also helps with itching.
It is important to keep the affected area clean to avoid an infection, according to WebMD. It may take up to five days for the sting to heal. Seek immediate medical assistance if signs of an allergic reaction occur. Signs include wheezing, trouble breathing, tightness in the throat and difficulty speaking. Other signs of an allergic reaction include a hastened pulse, anxiety and dizziness. The skin may swell, turn red, itch or tingle during an allergic reaction. An allergic reaction may cause a person to lose consciousness.Learn more about Insect & Animal Bites