Q:

What are some symptoms of toxic mold exposure?

A:

Quick Answer

Symptoms of toxic mold exposure include skin rash, headaches, persistent coughing and sneezing, and eye irritation, according to HGTV. In addition, people exposed to toxic mold for prolonged periods may also experience nausea and vomiting or bleeding from the nose or lungs.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

While mold can grow in any moisture-rich environment, indoor spaces commonly plagued by mold include basements and bathrooms, explains MedicineNet. Mold can grow on drywall, ductwork, carpeting, wallpaper and plumbing pipes. Common types of indoor mold include Aspergillus, Cladosporium and Stachybotrys atra, or black mold.

To prevent mold from growing, people must reduce moisture buildup by repairing plumbing leaks in a timely manner, drying wet areas immediately, and installing fans in bathrooms and other moisture-prone areas, suggests MedicineNet. Treatment options for mold include removing contaminated carpets, furniture or clothing, and spraying small areas with a mixture of chlorine bleach and water. People should contact a mold remediation company to remove mold from large areas.

People with weak immune systems can develop serious lung infections when exposed to toxic mold, states MedicineNet. To prevent mold spores from spreading, people can install air conditioning systems with enhanced air filtration capabilities, notes WebMD. In addition, people should pack unused clothing and bedding in airtight containers, especially when storing the containers in the basement.

Learn more about Conditions & Diseases

Related Questions

Explore