Symptoms of natural gas poisoning include nausea, fatigue, dizziness, irregular breathing and headache, according to the National Institutes of Health. People can become unconscious or die after high-level natural gas exposure. Breathing the toxins depletes the brain's oxygen, and sickness develops rapidly, explains the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio.
Individuals who experience natural gas poisoning symptoms need to leave the building immediately and call 911 or emergency medical services, notes the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio. In its ordinary state, natural gas has no odor or color; however, utility companies add an odor as a warning signal for gas leaks, explains the NIH. Heating and cooking with natural gas is safe under proper conditions, and low-level exposure is harmless.