The most common, less threatening symptoms of mold exposure include headaches, irritated eyes, a skin rash or discoloration and sneezing, states moldsymptoms.org. There are three levels of severity, when it comes to mold exposure ,and each level produces different symptoms.Continue Reading
When someone has been exposed to mold for an extended amount of time, some of the symptoms that can present include: a bloody nose, unintended weight loss, recurrent sinus problems, trouble breathing and spitting up blood. Fatal amounts of mold exposure can cause a person to go blind, develop cancer and even cause death, notes moldsymptoms.org.
The medical term for mold exposure is aspergillosis and it seems to affect patients more harshly if they already have a weakened immune system, reports the Cleveland Clinic. Until treated, the inhaled mold will continue to advance, which is why there are three different levels of this condition. Even patients that are completely healthy can suffer from aspergillosis, but they will recover much faster than someone with a weakened immune system.
Usually, prescription steroids and antifungal medications will resolve the symptoms of mold exposure. However, in some cases, surgery is necessary if the mold exposure has caused the lungs to start bleeding.Learn more about Pain & Symptoms