Q:

What are some symptoms of exposure to mold spores?

A:

Quick Answer

Among individuals sensitive to mold, exposure typically results in symptoms such as nasal stuffiness, eye irritation, wheezing or skin irritation, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Some people with serious mold allergies or chronic lung diseases experience more severe symptoms including fever, shortness of breath and lung infections.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

A study by the Institute of Medicine links indoor mold exposure to upper respiratory tract symptoms, wheezing and cough among otherwise healthy individuals, reports the CDC. Additionally, indoor mold exposure is linked to asthma symptoms among those with asthma. Limited or suggestive evidence links upper respiratory tract symptoms to indoor mold exposure among children. However, additional studies on the effects of mold show a correlation between early asthma development among children who are genetically predisposed to the condition.

To reduce the risk of mold exposure, clean bathrooms with mold-killing cleaners, never carpet bathrooms or basements, keep humidity levels at 50 percent or lower, and use an air conditioner during humid weather, recommends the CDC. Areas typically high in mold exposure risk include saunas, antique shops, farms, flower shops and greenhouses. A person who discovers mold growing in the home most often does not need to identify the type of mold. As individual reactions and susceptibility to mold vary, sampling is not indicative of the degree of health risk.

Learn more about Conditions & Diseases
Sources:

Related Questions

Explore