St. Francis Hospital in New York state opened in 1922 and was founded by the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary, according to its website. Quaker businessman Carlos Munson donated the original house, which served as a hospital, and the 15 acres of land surrounding it to two missionary sisters.
The hospital expanded in 1936 to add a sanatorium to care for children with rheumatic fever and built a larger building to house the hospital, notes St. Francis Hospital. In 1954, additional expansions allowed the hospital to continue to grow, and in the 1960s and 1970s, the hospital began to specialize in cardiovascular care. By 2015, the hospital is New York State’s leading heart center.