Drinking large quantities of bleach can cause poisoning and lead to serious side effects, such as burning of the esophagus, throat pain, hypotension, vomiting, slowing down of the heart rate and possible coma, relates the National Institute of Health. Bleach contains the active ingredient sodium hypochlorite.
Although sodium hypochlorite is used as a disinfectant or for water purification purposes, it is harmful when swallowed. If this occurs, it is important to seek medical attention as soon as possible. If a person has ingested this substance, immediate treatment can be to give fluids or milk, suggests the National Institute of Health. However, if the person has problems swallowing or is vomiting, he should not be given any fluids.