Q:

What should you do when you notice carbon monoxide poisoning warning signs?

A:

Quick Answer

A person who notices carbon monoxide poisoning warning signs should leave the area immediately and call 911, according to WebMD. You might also go to the emergency room, but you must leave the area before losing consciousness.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

Early signs of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, dizziness and nausea, explains WebMD. As the carbon monoxide accumulates in a person's body, she becomes confused and feels dizzy. Her rate of breathing increases, and she has chest pains and problems seeing. Finally, she has seizures that lead to death.

A person exposed to low levels of carbon monoxide over a long period of time suffers bouts of shortness of breath, nausea and headache when she is inside the affected space, notes WebMD. She feels better when she leaves the building, but the symptoms return when she goes back inside. Constant exposure to carbon monoxide causes damage to the heart and brain.

If a doctor suspects a person has carbon monoxide poisoning, he gives her a test to check the levels in her blood, reports WebMD. The patient receives oxygen therapy after a diagnosis of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, tasteless and colorless gas, explains WebMD. It replaces the oxygen in the blood, which leads to cell death and the eventual death of the person.

Learn more about Conditions & Diseases
Sources:

Related Questions

Explore