What Should You Look for in a Top ENT Doctor?


Quick Answer

Patients seeking an ear, nose and throat doctor should look for a specialist who has been trained by an accredited residency program, according to the American College of Surgeons. Ear, nose and throat specialists should be trained to treat disorders of the ears, head and neck and respiratory system.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

Patients should look for physicians who have been certified by the American Board of Otolaryngology, completed four years of college, four years of medical school and up to five years of training specializing in ear, nose and throat disorders and diseases, according to the American Academy of Otolaryngology–Head and Neck Surgery.

ENT physicians, also known as otolaryngologists, manage, diagnose and treat diseases of the nose, sinuses, larynx, throat and ears, explains the American Academy of Otolaryngology–Head and Neck Surgery. In addition, ear, nose and throat doctors manage and treat disorders affecting structures of the face and neck. Top ENT physicians typically specialize in one or more of the eight areas of ear, nose and throat disorders. Subspecialty areas include the head and neck, facial plastic and reconstructive surgery, allergy, pediatric otolaryngology, sleep disorders and the nose. Additional subspecialty areas include the throat and disorders of the ears, such as balance and tinnitus.

Learn more about Conditions & Diseases

Related Questions