Should You Go to the Doctor If You Think You Have Scabies Bites?


Quick Answer

Anyone who is concerned about possible scabies bites should see a doctor because over-the-counter treatments do not get rid of the mite infestation, according to MedicineNet. Prescription creams, ointments and oral medications are options.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

Permethrin -- brand name Elimite -- is an overnight cream that kills mites, states MedicineNet. This is the best treatment for most people. Lindane cream is left on for eight hours but must be washed off because seizures occur if it is absorbed. Ivermectin -- sold as Stromectol -- is an oral anti-parasitic medication that controls scabies, but the FDA has not approved it for this purpose. Because of side effects, this medicine is typically used only when topical treatment is ineffective.

Crotamiton lotion or cream -- Eurax or Crotan -- is prescribed only for adults, MedicineNet explains. It is less successful than other treatments. Sulfo-Lac and Sulfo-Lo are based on sulfur in petrolatum, an old remedy. They are only used when other creams or lotions are not appropriate for an individual.

Learn more about Skin Conditions

Related Questions