Treat allergic reactions to black mold in the same manner as allergic reactions to other molds, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. As of February 2015, there is no evidence suggesting a connection to any unique health problems from exposure to black mold.Continue Reading
Asthma and allergies are the primary health problems that arise from exposure to black mold, explains the CDC. Black mold grows on fibrous materials in moist or damp conditions and is often referred to as toxic black mold. This is inaccurate since, while the mold does in fact produce toxins, it is not actually toxic itself.
Allergies to black mold are quite common but not more so than with any other type of mold, notes the CDC. Black mold has been associated with serious lung problems in infants; however, a connection has not been scientifically proven. There is little evidence to support that toxigenic molds of any type found inside the home cause any kind of rare or unique health problems.
Allergic reactions caused by molds generally take the form of coughing, wheezing and irritated nose, eyes or throat, states WebMD. Additionally, mold allergies can bring on an asthma attack. The first step in treating a mold allergy is to remove the allergen. Mold exposure over extended periods of time has been known to cause severe respiratory problems in some cases. Removing the source as early as possible increases the chances for recovery.Learn more about Conditions & Diseases