What Are Some Recommended Ointments for a Skin Rash?

The type of skin rash ointment recommended by a doctor can depend on whether the rash is infectious or noninfectious. For a noninfectious rash, some topical rash ointments are steroid creams. However, because bacterial and fungal infections can also cause a skin rash, doctors may also suggest mupirocin, terbinafine and clotrimazole, as noted by eMedicineHealth.

For eczema or atopic dermatitis, some recommended over-the-counter ointments or creams are steroid creams, including hydrocortisone cream and clobetasol. The ointment is beneficial for the symptoms of these skin conditions, including itchy skin, inflammation and skin redness. When eczema causes very severe symptoms, a doctor may recommend both a prescription-strength cortisone cream for topical use and a cortisone oral medication, as stated by WebMD.