Q:

Is it possible to overdose on magnesium supplement tablets?

A:

Quick Answer

It is possible, though very unlikely, to overdose on magnesium supplement tablets as your kidneys work to remove excess magnesium, states Healthline. People suffering from chronic health conditions such as heart and kidney disease, alcoholism, and diabetes that has not been controlled properly are more likely to overdose.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

Adults should take less than 350 mg of magnesium supplements a day, whereas children younger than 8 years old should take 130 mg, and preteens should take 240 mg, states WebMD. Side effects of an overdose of magnesium include low blood pressure, coma, death, slowed blood clotting, confusion, nausea, urine retention, tiredness and slowed breathing, notes Healthline.

Learn more about Vitamins & Supplements

Related Questions

Explore