Q:

Is poison oak contagious?

A:

Quick Answer

The poison oak rash and fluid in the associated blisters are not contagious, according to Mayo Clinic. Touching the rash or blisters of an infected person does not transmit the condition.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

Mayo Clinic explains that the poison oak rash results when a person comes in contact with urushiol, a sticky, oily resin that is contained in the leaves, stems and roots of poison oak, poison ivy and poison sumac. Urushiol adheres to clothing, pet fur, skin and any objects with which it comes into contact. A person is likely to develop a rash if he touches an object that has urushiol on it. The rash itself does not contain urushiol, so it is impossible to contract poison oak by touching the rash.

Learn more about Skin Conditions
Sources:

Related Questions

Explore