Poison ivy blisters are large, swollen red blisters that ooze a clear fluid when they burst, notes Mayo Clinic. The rash usually appears 12 to 48 hours after exposure to the plant.Continue Reading
Poison ivy rashes begin when a person's skin comes in contact with the plant's oil, called urushiol, explains MedlinePlus. Initially, the rash is red, bumpy and appears to follow a straight line. The bumps may itch severely and turn into weeping blisters.
People with a poison ivy rash should not scratch or pick at the blisters, because bacteria under the nails can cause them to become infected. Wet compresses and collodial oatmeal relieve the itching, and calamine lotion dries up the blisters, states the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Anyone exposed to the plant who develops a fever or has pus or yellow fluid oozing out of the blisters should see a doctor.Learn more about Skin Conditions