Q:

What do you do if a person overdoses on metoprolol tartrate?

A:

Quick Answer

If a person has overdosed on metroprolol tartrate, contact the local Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222, or go to the emergency room, states WebMD. Severe dizziness and weakness, a very slow heartbeat, bluish fingernails, fainting and trouble breathing are symptoms of an overdose.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

Metroprolol tartrate, brand name Lopressor, is a beta-blocker used to treat high blood pressure and to manage chest pain, according to Drugs.com. It also reduces the risk of death due to heart rhythm dysfunction after a heart attack. It reduces the amount of work the heart has to do and lowers the amount of blood the heart pumps out with each beat.

Common side effects of this medication include slow heartbeat, drowsiness, dizziness and fatigue, says WebMD. Headaches and sexual dysfunction are also common. Metroprolol tartrate may also cause reduced blood flow to the hands and feet, which can make them feel cold. Drinking alcohol can exacerbate these side effects, notes EMedicineHealth.

Patients should not stop taking metroprolol tartrate suddenly as chest pain, heart attack and heart rhythm problems may occur, especially in those with coronary artery disease, according to PDR.net. Rather, the patient should taper down the dose over one to two weeks with careful monitoring.

Learn more about Medications & Vitamins

Related Questions

Explore