What is an overdose of iron pills?


Quick Answer

Iron overdose occurs in patients when they take amounts 50 to 100 times greater than the recommended daily dose of iron, according to the University of Maryland Medical Center. As much as 45 milligrams of iron can be safely taken per day.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

The University of Maryland Medical Center states that iron is an essential mineral for the human body. It helps carry oxygen throughout the body along with red blood cells. When iron levels in the body are low, oxygen levels can also drop. Iron tablets can be taken to combat low iron, but overdose can occur if a patient takes too many iron tablets. The symptoms of iron overdose, according to Medline Plus, include low blood pressure, weak pulse, chills, black stools and fluid in the lungs. Iron overdose is serious and should be treated immediately.

Learn more about Pain & Symptoms

Related Questions