For most people a bee sting results in a red welt, minor swelling and temporary discomfort, according to Mayo Clinic. Minor swelling usually goes away in just a few hours. However, some people have more significant reactions ranging from moderate to severe, which include more extreme swelling.
Some people have more moderate reactions, which means location-based swelling that extends beyond the point of the sting, reports WebMD. Despite the increased swelling, this reaction is normally not serious. Some people have a more severe allergic reaction known as anaphylaxis. This reaction not only includes greater swelling at the sting location, but it includes swelling in the face and throat. Calling 911 is advised, reports Mayo Clinic.