The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention states that studies show sufficient evidence to link exposure to mold with various viral lung infections, such as upper respiratory infections, coughing, wheezing and hypersensitivity pneumonitis in people who were considered perfectly healthy prior to their exposure to mold. Some studies the CDC cites have even found that early exposure to mold can lead to the development of asthma in children.Continue Reading
Molds are fungi found in various locations, including schools and office buildings, according to the CDC. Some people are especially sensitive to mold and are therefore more likely to develop an adverse response, such as a viral lung infection. Medicinenet reports that people with compromised immune systems or those previously diagnosed with a chronic lung condition are more likely to develop a serious infection in their lungs. One of the more common lung infections is hypersensitivity pneumonitis, which is an inflammation of the lungs cause by particles in the air, such as mold.
Some of the symptoms of mold exposure include fever, chills, coughing, difficulty breathing and body ache, notes MedicineNet. The inflammation is diagnosed with a chest X-ray, which shows small lung noduless that eventually disappear. The best way to prevent mold from developing in your home is to control moisture. The less exposure you have to mold, the less likely you are to develop these viral lung infections.Learn more about Conditions & Diseases