What Is a Medical Doctor Who Specializes in Female Anatomy?


Quick Answer

Medical doctors who specializing in women's reproductive health are known as gynecologists or obstetrician-gynecologists; frequently abbreviated as "OB-GYNs." To become an OB-GYN, a doctor must complete a specialized four-year residency focused on women's primary and reproductive health care, according to the American College of Surgeons.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

Following the residency, OB-GYNs may choose to further specialize in treating cancer, infertility, high-risk pregnancy or urinary disorders, according to the ACS. The national organization for OB-GYNs in the United States is the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, or ACOG, which recommends that young women have their first OB-GYN visit between ages 13 and 15.

Learn more about Reproductive Anatomy

Related Questions