Q:

What is meant by the sudden swelling of the upper lip?

A:

Quick Answer

Sudden swelling of the lips is a common symptom of angioedema, an allergic reaction that is believed to be triggered by eating shellfish, exposure to animal dander and ingestion of certain medications, according to MedlinePlus. Angioedema sometimes accompanies medical conditions such as lupus and lymphoma.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

Severe allergic reactions to bee stings can also cause rapid swelling of the lips, according to WebMD. The condition is referred to as anaphylactic shock, and additional symptoms can include nausea, vertigo, swelling of the tongue or throat, and loss of consciousness. It is important for individuals experiencing potential signs of anaphylactic shock to seek immediate medical attention.

Learn more about Pain & Symptoms

Related Questions

  • Q:

    Why do my lips go blue sometimes?

    A:

    Blue lips are typically due to low blood oxygen levels that can be caused by blood clots, high altitude levels, cold exposure and lung conditions, according to MedlinePlus. Blue lips can also occur in individuals who have drowned or experience near-drowning.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What causes a swollen tongue on one side?

    A:

    A swollen or partially swollen tongue can be caused by an allergic reaction to food or medications; bacterial infections; viral infections such as oral herpes; systemic iron deficiency; or exposure to irritants such as spicy foods and alcohol, according to Healthline. Other causes include dry mouth, burns and cuts.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What are some causes of lip swelling?

    A:

    Possible causes of lip swelling include mouth and lip trauma, allergic reactions to food or substances, angioedema, and infection, according to MedicineNet. Additionally, conditions that affect the entire body can cause lip swelling.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What happens if a person inhales the fumes from rubbing alcohol?

    A:

    Excessive exposure to isopropyl alcohol, also called rubbing alcohol, through inhalation, ingestion or skin contact may result in poisoning, according to MDGuidelines. Symptoms of exposure include headache, nausea, dizziness and vomiting. An individual who has inhaled significant amounts of isopropyl alcohol may also experience irritated skin, eyes, nose or throat.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore