About 15 paracetamol tablets containing 500 milligrams each can produce potentially fatal hepatoxicity. Medscape states that 7.5 to 10 grams of the drug is the minimum toxic dose in adults.
Paracetamol is safe when administered correctly. Nevertheless, overdose of the drug has, as of 2014, become the number one cause of acute hepatic failure in the United States, passing viral hepatitis. Severe liver injury is possible if paracetamol products are used in combination with alcohol. Death from multi-organ failure can occur within 72 to 96 hours after ingestion. Modern medicine has multiple methods of managing paracetamol toxicity, but liver transplants are still required in some cases.