How do you manage an allergic reaction to kiwi ?


Quick Answer

A kiwi fruit allergy can be managed by avoidance and treatment with appropriate medications, including antihistamines, bronchodilators, eyedrops and oral steroids, states Right Diagnosis. If a kiwi fruit allergy is confirmed, the sufferer should stop eating the food to avoid further complications and discomfort. An allergic reaction to kiwi can manifest in 34 different symptoms.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

Right Diagnosis defines a kiwi fruit allergy as an adverse reaction of the immune system to kiwi or any foods that contain the fruit. The antibody immunoglobulin and the naturally occurring substance histamine are produced when contact is made with an allergen.

Symptoms can range from light to severe depending on the individual, Right Diagnosis states. Some of the common symptoms include runny nose, irritated and watery eyes, hives, asthma, swollen tongue, vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, sneezing, headache, sinus pain and swelling of the face. The patient also may experience low blood pressure, eczema, insomnia or light-headedness.

In some rare instances kiwi allergy can cause an anaphylactic reaction, which throws the body into shock and can lead to death, according to Right Diagnosis. If this occurs, an EpiPen can delivery adrenaline to manage the reaction until professional emergency treatment can be secured.

Histamine is a messaging molecule used by certain cells for the purpose of communication, states Dr. Georgia Ede on her blog, Diagnosis Diet. Histamine floods the system when the chemical believes it is in "crisis mode." Histamine can cause people to develop anything from hives to difficulty breathing. Normally, the chemical acts to regulate sleep, digestion, blood pressure and brain functioning.

Learn more about Allergies

Related Questions