Q:

Why does Listerine burn?

A:

Quick Answer

Listerine burns due to the amount of alcohol it contains, according to The Center for Natural Dentistry. The alcohol in the mouthwash causes the mouth to become dry.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

While a small amount of alcohol can kill bacteria in the mouth, it should not be used by children, as stated by Dental Care Matter. It should also never be swallowed. Some experts also believe that too much alcohol in the mouthwash can lead to an increased risk of oral cancer. Listerine mouthwash should not be used in place of brushing, as brushing and flossing are the only effective methods for keeping the teeth and gums healthy.

Learn more about Dental

Related Questions

Explore